5.08.2008

NOT an ad for Netflix, I swear...


We don't have a TV. Not because we think TV rots the brain, but because there really isn't anywhere to put the nice big television of our dreams in our hobbit-sized home. So we watch all of our entertainments on our laptops. There's a bit of squinting involved, but it's not so bad.


Our home media center choices have also helped us to discover the wonderful world of online TV! All the networks show their popular sitcoms on their own websites (ABC, NBC, etc), so I get to watch The Office, 30 Rock, and Ugly Betty the day after they air on real TV. I also use Hulu, where I can watch House and Arrested Development.


"But where do you get your Law & Order fix?" you may be asking, dear readers. Allow me to tell you about the very special internet magic that has changed my life forever. It's called Netflix: Watch Instantly, and it's basically that. With your regular Netflix subscription, you now have the option to watch a bunch of movies and television shows as streaming video. Now I can watch almost any episode of L&O whenever my little heart desires it. And boy, does my heart desire it.


I'm telling you all this for a reason. Allow me to go back a little further. A few years ago, I was at my parents' house, watching Turner Classic Movies, as I am wont to do. I started watching a film that I didn't quite know what to do with. It was called Spider Baby, and I was hooked by the kooky opening animation and the theme song, which claimed, "This cannibal orgy is strange to behold and the maddest story ever told!" I couldn't believe my eyes.
Spider Baby stars Lon Chaney in his final film role, a handful of creepy teens, and is one of the most delightfully campy, absurd, awful, and entertaining horror movies I've ever seen. Here's a great review. When I first caught it on TCM, it wasn't yet available on DVD, so I wasn't able to share it with anyone. I was super excited to attend a screening of it last summer at the Roxie, featuring a Q & A with the director, Jack Hill. It was so much fun!
Soon after, it was released on DVD, and just the other night, I discovered that it's on Netflix's Watch Instantly list. So I highly recommend that you get some popcorn and watch Spider Baby, AKA The Liver Eaters, Attack of the Liver Eaters, or Cannibal Orgy, or The Maddest Story Ever Told. Yep, it was called each of those names at some point in the marketing process. Here's the trailer if you're not already convinced!


No comments: