9.13.2008

Fourteen Angels!

Sometimes on a Saturday afternoon, I'll put something on my Netflix Watch Instantly that seems like something that would be on regular TV on a Saturday afternoon. Today my pick is the 1954 stop-motion opera of Hansel and Gretel. It's simultaneously beautiful, creepy, cringe-worthy, and haunting.

One of the things that's changed so much since my faraway youth is the fact that stuff like this has become available, instead of being relegated to some dark vault to crumble into dust (like so many forgotten films). Here's a clip of Hansel and Gretel chillin' with Father Time and meeting fourteen angels.

3 comments:

Squidhelmet said...

Did you ever see that claymation mash-up of a bunch of Mark Twain tales? That's one that I have vague and creepy memories of. Especially their treatment of Injun Joe from Tom Sawyer. Wish I could dig that one up again...

Anonymous said...

I Love DVD for bringing back the old and obscure lovables...
And I Love Quickflix (Its Ozzie name) for delivering them to my mailbox! (we aren't caught up with the instant downloady thing yet...)
:)

lms said...

true or false: netflix instant has changed your life.