8.10.2009

Projects projects projects....


I've got a lot of projects brewing in my mind right now. It's exciting to have ideas! Here's the project I'm most set on doing (and the one I'm most likely to finish). I'm no great embroiderer, but I love how stitched prayers and sayings look; there's something about embroidered words that seems extra meaningful. My parents have a beautiful cross-stitch of the Irish Blessing (less cool version above) that hangs in my brother's room; it's one of my favorite things.

When I came across this poem last week while doing my "lunchtime literary studies" (browsing various authors on Wikipedia at work while eating my cup-o-soup), I knew what my fall project would be.

Late Fragment

And did you get what
you wanted from this life, even so?
I did.
And what did you want?
To call myself beloved, to feel myself
beloved on the earth.

--Raymond Carver

Carver wrote this poem when he was getting his last book in order before his death. I love it very much. I've only ever read his short stories, which I also love very much, but now I'm definitely going to read his poems too. I think this would be really special to stitch by hand and hang in my house.

The question is, how do I find a good embroidery font? Everything online is just cheesy or made for machine stitching. I want to do something like the below; I think I'll just end up using my own handwriting though. Any advice?

2 comments:

Miriam P. said...

I love this idea, Polly! I'm so over ironic embroidery and think this is such a nice way to pay homage to old embroidery and poetry at the same time. Re. the font: why not just use your own handwriting? They sell pens at the fabric store whose ink disappears after one gentle wash. That's what I use. Then you can write directly on the fabric.

Crooked Sister said...

Hey Polly! It is super easy to transfer font onto fabric for embroidery. The Big Longs has transfer paper and pencil that you can buy. All you need to do to make sure it transfers is to reverse your text with a copy machine so it transfers from left to right. It is harder to transfer onto darker fabric but I can give you some advice there too. Email me if you want more info.