6.13.2012

Play Misty for Me


I've been working my way through some classic thrillers recently. Last Saturday I watched 1971's Play Misty for Me, which was a real treat! There aren't a lot of movies set in Central California (Sideways is the only one that comes to mind), and it's really fun to see the crazy town of Carmel in all its ritzy seaside glory, filtered through a lens of drab 70's burlap and fog.

"I don't understand the question and I won't respond to it." Pic from Horror Digest
Clint Eastwood is the protagonist here, but it's really Jessica Walter's film. She has some serious boundary issues. It's awesome, if overtly anti-feminist (beechez be crazy, etc). While she's busy wreaking emotional havoc, wearing a fur coat, and sharpening knives, Clint is trying to maintain his extremely difficult and taxing job as a part-time jazz DJ that somehow affords him the sweetest bachelor pad ever. It has a tree growing through it! I tried for ages to find a screenshot of the house, to no avail. Must I do everything myself?

Other notes: I don't know how they managed to make a boring sex scene featuring Clint Eastwood and Donna Mills, but wow, what a snoozer. I just wanted more Jessica Walter! She's actually the cutest. Overall, Play Misty for Me has aged quickly into high camp (is it possible to wield a knife without screaming like a banshee? Not in this movie) but it's still super-fun to watch, if only for the extreme chill 1970's Carmel lifestyle.


I found a stash of incredible craft books a few days after I watched this; one of them just screamed 1971 with its casual crocheted headwear. Lo and behold, I was right! How can I turn this into a marketable skill? 

2 comments:

Crystal said...

I can't wait to watch this weekend! Hello couchy times.

BEESTLYproducts said...

i really hope that this is on netflix! looks super inspirational!