2.02.2007

The Young One



You know when you're young, and you discover something that you feel to be the absolute height of comedy, and that you are an absolute great wit for getting the jokes and appreciating the dry quips?

My first experience with this was the Ghostbusters cartoon. I remember watching it and thinking that it was the funniest, most high-brow piece of art that I had ever seen. I had never seen the real Ghostbusters film, but I was proud to enjoy the cartoon every afternoon at 4 PM.

However, I am under the impression that if I watched an episode now, I might not find it so humorous. I have had this experience many times. The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy series just isn't funny to me anymore. At all. Same with about 75% of Monty Python. Even some Kids in the Hall sketches are kind of embarassing.

Anyway, the point is, I still really like The Young Ones. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I knew it was pretty dumb and embarassing to begin with. Last night I had a dream about Rik, pictured above. I dreamed that he and John Lydon were singing a song together, and I was like, they totally have the same goggly eyes, are they the same person, no, they're two different people, and then I woke up.

So, yeah.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dood! I loved the real ghostbusters - such crappy animation and such corny jokes, but they were really trying to scare the crap out of you!

I did a little youtubin to find some shots of the Bogeyman (scared me so much!) and I found this one of the real ghostbusters chasing him through the Escher landscape which is his evil domain.

Here's a linky:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSxUbCHkI04

Anonymous said...

Also! I just recently flipped on a hotel tv (which is always the randomest type of tv watchin) and what was on? Drop Dead Fred! Which is totally that dude!

I have no idea what kind of hard unpasteurized drugs were involved in getting that movie written and produced, but man, for that girl to be in Gremlins, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, and Drop Dead Fred all in the same lifetime is almost too much!

Crystal said...

I fear the day that we are 50 and rolling our eyes and turning off Mr. Show :(